SOR Housing Coordinator
The SOR Housing Coordinator (now referred as “Housing Coordinator”) will assist families and individuals who are identified by the SOR program in identifying and maintaining safe and affordable housing in a timely manner.
The Housing Coordinator will work collaboratively with CHS Housing Locators, the Department of Human Services, and HSAO, as part of the coordinated SOR program. The Housing Coordinator will be responsible for assisting clients in locating landlords and available apartments and assuring valid and truthful leases are drafted. They will assist clients in searching and selecting apartments that are safe and affordable. They will facilitate conducting inspections and ensuring rental units meet Fair Market Rent and Rent Reasonableness standards. They will assist the appropriate teams in calculating arrears as applicable, rental assistance, and in gathering all appropriate rental documentation. They will facilitate mediation between clients and landlords when appropriate while working with the appropriate service coordinator/case manager.
The Housing Coordinator will interface directly and be a part of the interdisciplinary team with HSAO to ensure that appropriate housing is identified, secured and maintained. The Housing Coordinator will work with participants on goals to maintain housing, which may include tenancy rules and concerns, financial responsibility for rent and utilities and applying for a housing choice voucher (section 8) or other subsidized housing.
Further, the Housing Coordinator will be responsible for processing the rental assistance and calculating participant rent. The Housing Coordinator will be the primary source for finding suitable and sustainable housing with support from the Housing Locators at CHS.
- Utilize networks to locate available units that meet the requirements of CHS and its clients.
- Review and negotiate leases for appropriate terms & conditions according to funder and Agency guidelines.
- Perform HQS inspections on potential apartments and assure the drafting of valid and truthful leases.
- Conduct Fair Market Rent and Rent Reasonableness assessments in accordance with the OUD Housing Program.
- Maintain a comprehensive written record of all transactions via electronic database.
- Assist clients in starting discussions with landlords, scheduling and touring apartments with the client.
- Utilize internal Housing Locator referral worksheet to identify potential apartments/homes based on client profile.
- Coordinate lease signings with CHS peers, HSAO, client and landlord.
- Diplomatically handle problems surrounding housing issues such as maintenance of apartments, restoration of apartments upon discharge of clients, tenant disputes, landlord issues, etc.
- Provide feedback and suggestions to HAP and CHS leadership to improve the service delivery of the program.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a social work or related field with 4 years’ experience in case management and/or service coordination; or a combination of work or equivalent level of education, work and/or life experience.
- Adhere and promote the CHS Core Values in all aspects of the work: Quality, Respect, Relevance, Advocacy and Equity.
- A working knowledge of the social service system and the rental market.
- Knowledge of state and local housing laws including Tenant/Landlord rights.
- Real Estate License is a plus.
- Exceptional organizational, communication and case management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Sensitivity toward individuals and families in need of program services.
- Computer literacy with a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain professionalism even when dealing with difficult circumstances.
- Willingness to accept tasks and responsibilities that help to enhance and improve the program and achieve a high level of customer service provision.
- A willingness to work collaboratively within a team setting.
- Ability to work and travel independently.
- Must have a valid PA driver’s license.