CHS is participating in Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, an annual nation-wide campaign where people come together to draw attention to the problems of hunger and homelessness. Check out what we're doing below, and make sure to follow our efforts on social media through #HungryandHomelessPGH !
- Mythbusters Cardboard Brigade: CHS staff and Board Members will be standing on the corner of Penn Ave and 16th Street with cardboard signs displaying statistics to dispel the myths around housing insecurity. Come chat with us between 11-2pm to learn more about how we can be addressing these issues!
- Winter Warm-Up Volunteer Event: Our partners at Apple are making bags filled with winter gear and toiletries to distribute to the people we serve who live on the streets. Thanks to our partners at Amazon for hosting a donation drive, and to everyone else who contributed items to make this possible!
- Cycle Series: Homelessness and Menstruation: SisterFriend is hosting this movie showing and panel discussion for this film at 6:00, at 130 DeSoto Street Pittsburgh, PA 15261. Come hear what our CEO Adrienne Walnoha, staff member Heidi Allison, and Board Members Aerion Abney have to say as panelists!
- Hunger Advocacy Call-to-Action!: We are encouraging all of our supporters to call their congress members today in support of continued funding for SNAP.
- Housing Advocacy Call-to-Action!: We are encouraging all of our supporters to call their congress members today in support of increased funding for Homeless Services in the HUD Budget.
- WQED Think! Poverty Initative Community Forum: Join us at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center (Hall D) for a conversation about poverty and it's impact in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Discussion times are at 10:45 AM and 2:00 PM.
Make sure to follow our Facebook page throughout the week to learn more about these issues in our community. To learn more about National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, visit www.hhweek.org.
Ideas on other ways to engage in advocacy for CHS around hunger and homelessness? Contact Brooke Sciullo at BSciullo@chscorp.org.