- To assist everyone that approaches CHS for housing assistance, whether directly with one or more of the CHS programs or indirectly with referrals to agencies who will be able to provide the assistance needed.
- To treat everyone who interacts with us with respect and dignity.
- To process your request for assistance within 10 business days upon receiving your application.
What We Do: Assist individuals and families in a housing crisis obtain and remain in housing. In addition, CHS assists individuals and families in the community stabilize their housing and prevent them from becoming homeless.
Who We Serve: Anyone, over the age of 18, in Allegheny County who is either precariously housed or has lost their housing and needs to obtain new permanent housing.
Impact: CHS is a leader when it comes to addressing homelessness in Allegheny County. CHS approaches complex housing issues from all sides: comprehensive intake assessments help the program determine what the households need and what can CHS do to address the needs and goals of those who are experiencing housing challenges.
History: In the mid 1980s, CHS began to notice an increase in housing instability in Pittsburgh. The agency began working to develop affordable housing options for people in the community and then developed homeless outreach services. Operation Save-A-Life, the first peer-based street outreach team, was formed in 1991 and continues today. Supportive Relocation Program, the first HUD Supported Housing program at CHS, was funded in 1995 by Allegheny County Department of Human Services. Many unique and needed homeless programs have been developed since then.
Who We Partner With: Operation Safety Net, Allegheny County Department of Human Services, North Hills Community Outreach, Housing Authority of the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County Housing Authority, Women's Center & Shelter
- Becky Labovick was recognized with the 2013 Outstanding Service Award by National Health Care for the Homeless Council for excellence in the field of clinical services.
- Our eviction prevention work was recognized for its innovation and impact with the Coaches' Prize at the 2014 Social Venture Partners Fast Pitch Competition.
For more information please contact:
CHS Housing Assistance Programs
2525 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222